Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Learning To Be Still






"Learn To Be Still" is an old Eagles song, that I hear every night when I go to listen to the music at the Uffizzi. Many of you may be familiar with it, as I am, because it is a song I grew up with. One evening, the lyrics actually struck me as I listened, and I thought about what they mean and how true they are.

Everyone is searching for something, and that’s what the song is about. I think I have "learned to be still" here is Italy.

It's just another day in paradise

As you stumble to your bed

You'd give anything to silence

Those voices ringing in your head

You thought you could find happiness

Just over that green hill

You thought you would be satisfied

But you never will-

Learn to be still


We are like sheep without a shepherd

We don't know how to be alone

So we wander 'round this desert

And wind up following the wrong gods home

But the flock cries out for another

And they keep answering that bell

And one more starry-eyed messiah

Meets a violent farewell-

Learn to be still Learn to be still


Now the flowers in your garden

They don't smell so sweet

Maybe you've forgotten

The heaven lying at your feet


There are so many contradiction

In all these messages we send

(We keep asking) How do I get out of here

Where do I fit in?

Though the world is torn and shaken

Even if your heart is breakin'

It's waiting for you to awaken

And someday you will-

Learn to be still

Learn to be still

You just keep on runnin'

Keep on runnin'

No comments: