Monday, April 16, 2007

Painting in Florence


I thought that I would do a lot of painting in Florence. So far that hasn’t been the case. The first month I was here, of course I had plenty of time to paint. I bought supplies the first week I was here, and had brought my brushes from home. The weather was so beautiful, and I was so excited to be here that I couldn’t bring myself to stay inside and paint. There was one rainy cold day that I did pull out the brushes and paints and started on a self portrait. It is inspired by "The Angel of Courage" that a friend of mine gave me when I left.


For me the painting can be interpreted a few ways: 1. I’ve died and gone to heaven, 2. I’ve arrived, 3. I am the angel of courage (Well, I guess those of you who know me well realize that using me and angel is the same phrase is blasphemy). Anyway, it’s still unfinished, as most of my paintings stay (Leonardo and I have that in common!). If you have any other interpretations of my self portrait, I would love to here them.


As I have said, painting in the town of Bottecelli, Leonardo, Michelangelo, etc, etc is intimidating, but inspiring.

No comments: