Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sidewalk Art

Mona Lisa-Leonardo Da Vinci Primavera-Sandro Boticelli


Girl with a pearl earring-Vemeer




Birth of Venus-Sandro Boticelli


Okay, here is my idea for my second "coffee table book,. Sidewalk art. Some of you know that I like to paint. I am not very good at it, but I enjoy it. Being in Florence, I have lots of time to paint, but, I haven’t done much of it. (See Painting in Florence) Anyway, the reason I don’t paint much is because when I do, I stay in my apartment. I haven’t ventured outside to attempt painting yet, for a variety of reasons. 1. I am too self conscious, 2. There is a lot of stuff to carry. 3. I am totally intimidated by other artists living (and dead) in Florence.



There are many galleries and art schools in Florence. The amazing thing to me, which further adds to my intimidation is the "sidewalk art" that happens every single day near the Porcalleno Mercato. There are 3 spaces available, and artists work on their hands and knees all day long to recreate some of the most beautiful and famous paintings in the world, in chalk. At the end of the day, the street sweeper comes by and washes their work away.



They do this for 6-8 hours a day for the coins that people put into their baskets. The photos are some of my favorites, but they are all incredible!!! I will take you to see them when you are here. I go every night to take my photos of the finished products.

No comments: