Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dolce Vita


Usually, when you really think about it, it’s the "unexpected" things in life that pop up, spontaneously, with no forethought, that provide the most fun, excitement and pleasure. At least, I find that’s true for me. It doesn’t have to be anything earth shattering either. It’s a time when you have plans, but the way things turned out are different than planned, and have some element of surprise in them.

This happened to me last night. It had been a lazy day. I had slept late, tried to mail some packages, only to find the store closed during it’s posted "Open" hours. (This happens often in Italy) gone to the grocery, shopped at a local craft market, and had a glass wine atop the Rinescente. I had no plans for the evening, and that was okay.

I stayed in the Piazza until the sun started to fade behind the buildings and the breeze kicked up, blowing all the hot air away, so that I knew my apartment would be bearable when I prepared dinner. I met Simone while standing on the piazza and we parted, saying we would see each other as usual in the evenings at the Uffizzi, to listen to music.

I headed home, had dinner, and then back out to listen to music. I was early so decided to go to the Ponte Vecchio. This is something I don’t often do because of the number of tourists. However this time of the evening it is beginning to clear, and it is cool and beautiful there with the sun sinking behind the Tuscan hills and the colors on the bridge changing to beautiful patinas, that will take your breath away.

As I approached the bridge, I saw my friend Regine, and hailed her down. She was heading back to her apartment to get her cell phone, but had no plans for the evening either, so we decided to have a "little something to drink".

We headed to the Oltrarno, looking for a wine bar, that I had seen before. I thought I knew where it was, but after about an hour of walking, which we enjoyed anyway, I gave up on locating it, and we decided to go to one of the many places that are in that area. We stumbled upon Dolce Vita.

When we arrived at Dolce Vita, it was about 11:00 p.m. They had outside tables and one was vacant so we had a seat and ordered a bottle of wine. Dolce Vita is a club/lounge, and we were the only non-Italians there. It is so rare, and fun when that happens in Florence. I am certain that the locals like to keep their favorite places just that....local. Clearly there were many groups of friends there meeting for drinks, conversation, and fun. They played all 70's and 80's music, the evening was beautiful and relaxing. I know I will return with my friends repeatedly to Dolce Vita, and what a perfect name!

No comments: