Monday, June 4, 2007

Karen's New Life According to Kelly submitted by Kelly Mills




I asked Karen if I could write a "guest blog" about her new life in Italy, and she agreed. Here are a few of my observations: (WARNING! I am not as eloquent as Karen)

I think that those of you who know Karen will agree with the following assessment: she is always put together: clothes, hair, bling (think Mr.T), nails, the works. She likes to pamper herself. She always has a plan and she is always in control. People are intimidated by her, and with good reason.


The Italian Karen (Ms. Zani Capitani) doesn’t have a manicure or pedicure. She wears very little jewelry. She smiles all the blessed time. She is friendly to strangers. She starts every day by opening her kitchen window, sticking her head out and saying "It’s another beautiful day!" I don’t think that is a commentary on the weather outdoors, but a heartfelt feeling about where she is at this point in her life. Remember in the Disney movies how Cinderella and Snow White are so happy and sweet that birds land on them while they sing? That’s Karen’s new life.


Karen is lighter, and I am not talking about the weight she’s dropped. She is thriving in this little tiny apartment, with few creature comforts. She is making the most of this opportunity in the beautiful city of Florence. She has completely opened herself up to this experience where each day brings new possibilities. She is happier than I have ever seen her and I am thrilled that she is sharing her experiences with all of us.

No comments: