Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Broken Plumbing


Two days ago, my bathtub broke. You know the piece that goes into the hole to stop the water from draining out? Well, it won’t come up. There is a round thing at the top of the tub that you rotate to put it down, and then rotate to put it back up again. It won’t rotate up. I got a knife and tried to pry it out, but couldn’t. How the hell do you think it got stuck so tight?
Anyway, I had no choice but to call my landlord. She came over that evening to look at it, and she tried the knife also, but to no avail. We made an appointment for today for the apartment owner to come over and look at it. By this time, most of the water had barely seeped out, but she dished the rest out, and tried the knife again. Whatever space there is for water to seep down the drain, it is not big enough for that damn knife to get into. I think we know that by now. She tried gluing something to the top of the stopper to pull it out, but that didn’t work either. This is Sunday morning, so now we have to call a plumber. Plumbers don’t work in Italy on Sunday. They don’t charge extra for working on Sunday....they do not work on Sunday. The first availability is Wednesday. My landlord says that plumbers are like surgeons in Italy. They set their own schedules and charge what they want to. That part sounds like the USA!
At this point, even though I have never previously used one, I am thankful for the bidet. Unfortunately, there are no instructions for it, and I am not about to ask! I plan to research this on the internet! I will let you know how it comes out. (Both the drain plug, and the research on the bidet usage)

No comments: