Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Coming Home






You know that old corny saying, "Home is where the heart is"? Well, I have found the root of the meaning here in Florence. I returned to the USA for a week to interview for jobs last week. When I arrived in Florence after the week, I have never felt such contentment to return to a physical space.


The sound of Italian all around me, the beauty in the architecture and on the streets. People dressed in "la bella figura" for their evening passiegatta. The smell of garlic and pizza and the Fiorentina bistecca in the air.


I arrived at 8 a.m. in the morning, and headed straight to bed. When I awoke, it was all I could do to get dressed fast enough and out on the streets to drink in the life and the air. I took a long walk to make sure all of what I remembered was still there. The Arno, Santa Croce, the Ponte Vecchio, David at the Palazzo Vecchio, the Piazza della Signoria, Piazza della Republica, the Duomo.....all still intact and beautiful.


I had a celebratory glass of prosecco to be back, and then went to dinner for a pizza and some wine. Fortified, I thank my lucky stars to be here again.

No comments: