Monday, August 27, 2007

Sculptures






Having people in town and showing them the sights allows me to look at things once more with a "different" perspective. I can honestly say that I don’t take the art and beauty of Florence for granted in any way, and appreciate and recognize and relish all that the city has to offer everyday.


When Linda was visiting, and while she was in the Uffizi, I waited for her in Piazza della Signoria on the loggia. The loggia is a large and beautiful open building in the Piazza that contains many important sculptures, and it was built in 1382..


It was raining that day, and her admission time was at 9 a.m. and I am never in the piazza at that time of day because of school. It was amazing how crowded it was, and the rain was not keeping anyone away. The Loggia is an excellent place to sit, because it is covered, and higher on the piazza which allows a nice vantage point to see everything that is going on.


I looked around at the sculptures there, and was amazed with my surroundings. Really I have never been that fond of or interested in sculptures, but my appreciation and knowledge about them has grown here in Florence. Of course, "Il David" by Michelangelo remains one of my most favorite things on earth, and a replica of that sculpture stands in the position of the original David at the door to the Palazzo Vecchio. On the other side of the door is Hercules and Cacus (1533) by Bandeinelli. Some of my other favorites on the loggia, and the most famous, are Cellini’s Perseus-a bronze of Perseus holding Medusa’s head (1584), The Rape of the Sabine Women (1583). All of these are very violent depictions, but the motion and emotion evoked are profound.

No comments: